Dropped Domain Tools and Tips
Buying an expired or “dropped” domain can be a really good way to kickstart a new site or to add authority to an existing one. There are a bunch of tools out there to yelp you find and buy these domains, but before you use the domain for anything, make sure the domain is ok to use:
- Verify that there aren’t any Manual Penalties on the domain (Verify it through Google Webmaster Tools )
- Check the back-links of domain if any. (You can use Moz Explorer)
- Check the domain in the AdSense Sandbox
- Check that the domain is indexed
- Check the anchor profile of the domain – if it has loads of spammy links you could get penalised
- View the site via archive.org and make sure it was a legit site.
- Check the site on Similarweb
Always look to 301 individual pages if you can as well.
Here are some of the dropped domain tools I use:
Great search tool with lots of info, filters etc. Shows SEmrush, Moz, Majestic and Alexa rank as well as price if the domain is already in an auction like Godaddy TDNAM or Namejet.
Domaintools has a bunch of different tools in its suite. The dropping names tool doesn’t give much info, but you can keyword search upcoming drops by length, date, dmoz or yahoo listing with the advanced tool.
Good free tool with lots of filters and options.